Thursday 26 February 2015

End of season clearance


While I was on Whitehorse Hill the other week, I took pity on an abandoned artefact.  Not a part cut millstone, or forgotten granite trough, but an old tin that was more Litterbox than Letterbox.  All that was immediately visible in a collapsed section of bank was a broken, rusty ammunition tin.  Inside, a plastic ice cream tub with a few damp, unreadable pages of a once full visitors book.  No stamp, and no identifying marks on any part was to be seen.


I was left in no doubt that this old timer needed removal.  The fact that it had not already been removed was possibly due to its weight and size.  I don't carry a large rucksack so I did have to repack all my belongings to make room inside.  As stated in previous posts (such as "Merry Christmas" - Dec 2012), I am no box thief, but I do like responsible behaviour when it comes to damaged boxes.  If they cannot be repaired on the hill, and it's condition has deteriorated to such an extend that it is a hazard, eyesore or detriment to the hobby, a letterbox should be removed.  Whenever possible, the owners should be sought and informed.


This box was sited 34 paces on 247 degrees from the top Peat Pass marker in the East Dart Cut.  I noted this information hoping I'd be able to identify it later.


An ammo can suggests it was sited pre-1997 when rules were updated.  However I have scoured old Letterbox catalogues for clues reminiscent of this - so far without success.  If you can identify it, please let me know.  It has seen it's final Dartmoor Winter though.

No comments: