Monday 9 October 2017

The Caves & Tunnels of Dartmoor

Just some of the stamps in the charity walk
'The Caves & Tunnels of Dartmoor' is the title of my latest Letterboxing project: a Charity Walk sited this month, and out on the Moor until the end of March 2018.

A 4-mile route in the spectacular Upper Lyd Valley
I have never sited a charity Letterbox walk, so the whole experience so far has been fascinating.  Let me explain.  I had a desire to do some good.  To raise some cash for a charity which does work on Dartmoor.  I had an idea for a set of interesting boxes.  I have a passion for the environment and conservation.  It seemed obvious to choose a wildlife charity, and Mid Devon Bat Rescue - based near North Tawton - stood out.  This charity is run by volunteers, helping lost, injured or orphaned bats.  It's large enough to care for a significant proportion of Dartmoor (a line from about Tavistock to Newton Abbot northwards in fact) yet small enough that funds raised by a charity walk will make a real, tangible difference.

The final box of the walk, also containing a visitor's book
My caves and tunnels themed stamps were suitably appropriate.  Kari, who runs the charity was on board with the idea, and so it has happened!

The boxes are sited in the Lyd Valley.  Chosen for various reasons not least because it is a stunning place to go Letterboxing in the off-season.  There are 14 boxes in the walk plus a complementary with the cluesheet.

If you would like a copy of the clues, they cost £2.50 of which all proceeds go to Mid Devon Bat Rescue.  The boxes are on the Moor now!  There's no nesting birds, no bracken, and no snow.  What are you waiting for?!  

For a copy of the clues, please post a cheque for £2.50 made payable to 'Kari Bettoney'  plus a stamped-addressed-envelope to whoisthechallenger.  Email me (see below) for my address.

Any problems or queries, please email me: whoisthechallenger@rocketmail.com

No comments: