Monday 15 January 2018

Long time, no see


Duck's Pool - there's somewhere I haven't been in a while.  This was a thought that went round my head at New Year.  As I was bedridden with flu, I was mulling over the walks I wanted to do, and boxes I wanted to find early in 2018.



This one was top of my list.  You will remember that in June last year, I discovered the location of Duck's Pool's visitor's books, and took time to study the first one from 1938.  I recall reading comments from members of the Archaeological Exploration Society who had made regular visits from their field trip base at Redlake Tip.  I remember the dedication shown by the Dobson Moormen (who first created the permanent William Crossing Memorial and Letterbox at the Pool) to visit and maintain the site.


Yet I had not been to Duck's Pool in nearly 10 years.  Time to return.


I parked below Gutter Tor, near the scout hut, which on the day of my visit was home to a large number of military reservists, who were being put through their paces around the compound.  The weather was cool, but their was no wind, no clouds, and hardly another soul on the Moor.  I set off in high spirits up the Eylesbarrow track.  I was pursued very slowly by a mountain biker, who was carefully picking a decent route up the rutted path.  **Note to BMC: This track could do with investment through that Mend the Mountains fund currently being raised for the Nuns Cross side of Eylesbarrow!



Once past boggy ground, I struck off towards the Hartor Tors and the Plym.  My first real destination of Letterboxing substance was Calveslake Tor, which is off the beaten path for many walks other than this one.  Calveslake Tor proved successful for Letterboxing as always.  Though I was soon on my way to Great Gnats Head - high on the hill above.  I revelled in the easy terrain and fast pace.  Once the summit was reached, I was up on the great South Plateau.  The generally featureless, peaty, boggy central expanse of the Southern Moor, including Nakers, Green, Skir and Crane Hills.  Plus the headwaters of the Plym, Erme, Avon and Swincombe.  I splashed across to Ducks Pool to find the area almost exactly as I recalled it in my mind.


I headed straight to the Crossing Memorial, where the original 1938 Letterbox is sited.  I was alarmed by what I found.  The box is on site, but the stamp was missing.  In the metal container was a word-of-mouth Letterbox originally sited in 1999. Activity in both visitor's books suggest both events occurred between May and July of 2017.

The overwhelming majority of visitors who left their mark in the original box's book (which has been on site since 2016) were day hikers, Duke of Edinburgh participants and Ten Tor'ers. The last visitor called in on December 6th. Some 5 weeks before me. This seems an extraordinary long time, even by Duck's Pool standards. I vowed to contact the custodian of Ducks Pool Letterbox on my return home.  I stamped the book myself, and continued my Letterboxing in and around the valley, but the sun was dipping low and thoughts turned towards my return home.



I aimed for Plym Head, then downstream to Plym Ford and the track that would lead me back to the car.  I found a few boxes at Crane Lake and Evil Combe as I passed by.  The sun setting ahead of me made for incredible photography and a very visual indication of how long I had to get to Gutter Tor car park.


My day out at had been successful as a Letterbox walk.  Ducks Pool was surprising due the state that it was in, although it should shortly be back up to standard.  As far as my walks go, it was the furthest I'd been in some months, which gives me confidence for forthcoming routes planned.


I urge everyone who can to (re)visit Ducks Pool, to make their mark in the book, and support the maintenance of part of our hobby's heritage.  Maybe the journey will surprise you too.

No comments: